Inside His Final Days: What Happened in the Weeks Leading Up to Prince's Tragic Death

Prince, 57, died Thursday at his Paisley Park estate, just days after his final performance

Photo: Splash News Online

brightcove.createExperiences(); Legendary musician Prince died in his Minnesota home on Thursday, just one week after seeking emergency medical treatment for a prolonged flu battle.

While his illness initially forced him to cancel a few scheduled concerts, the “Purple Rain” singer tweeted just two days ago that he was feeling “rejuvenated.”

So, what happened in the weeks leading up to the music icon’s tragic death?

April 7

Prince was scheduled to perform two shows at Atlanta’s Fox Theatre as part of his Piano & a Microphone tour. However, he had to cancel the performances – which were rescheduled for the following week – due to illness.

April 12

The singer didn’t offer an update on his condition, but did take to Twitter, sharing a photo of his new purple piano. “BOOM (FROM LOTUSFLOWER) ON THIS NEWLY ARRIVED PURPLE PRESENT FROM YAMAHA . “RESOUNDING!” he captioned the photo.

April 14

Prince was seemingly feeling better, as he showed up for his rescheduled concerts at Atlanta’s Fox Theatre and gave an emotional performance to fans including singers Judith Hill and Janelle Monée.

Celeste Headlee, who was in attendance at the singer’s final show, told PEOPLE that he started the night with an apology for canceling the shows the week before, but then went on to give an “incredible performance with at least four encores.”

“He left everything on the stage, like he always did,” she added. “After one song, he got up and left the stage because he was overcome by emotion.”

April 15

The star’s plane made an emergency landing early in the morning to rush the singer to the hospital, his rep confirmed to PEOPLE. Although he did perform the night before, his rep said that he was still battling the flu. He was treated at a hospital in Moline, Illinois, after getting off the airplane, and was released three hours later.

Sometime before being taken to the hospital, Prince took a moment to reflect on his performances the night before.

“I am still floating on a cloud of purple intoxication after last night’s Piano & A Microphone show in Atlanta,” he wrote on Twitter.

April 16-18

Prince was active on Twitter, tweeting thanks and encouraging fans to “support ur local record store 2day.” He also promoted a dance party at Paisley Park, which he said was “2 GIVE THANX 4 THE GOOD WEATHER AND 4 ALL THE LOVE AND SUPPORT ”

The singer’s health had also seemed to be improving, as he responded to a fan on Twitter who had attended his Atlanta show days before.

“#FeelingRejuvenated #FeelingInspired #FeelingLoved,” he told the fan who was remembering the concert.

April 21

Prince was found unresponsive in an elevator at his Paisley Park estate in Minnesota. Shortly after, sheriff’s deputies received a call for medical attention from his home. Less than 25 minutes later, Prince was pronounced dead. He was 57.

A cause of death has not been determined, but medical examiners received the body and will perform an autopsy on Friday.

As news of the Prince’s death sets in, many are taking to Twitter to send their condolences and remember the icon. Fans who lived near his estate in Chanhassen even gathered outside the home, leaving flowers and playing his music.

“His music is the soundtrack of my life. From being a kid to getting married to getting divorced to getting different jobs,” Jeff McCullough, 55, told PEOPLE while mourning at Paisley Park. “I don t know what I’m going to listen to know. I listened to him while I was doing yard work, biking, relaxing, working out. This is one of the saddest days of my life.”

Related Articles