Geert Vanden Wijngaert/AP
March 24, 2016 11:00 PM

Police raids in Paris have spoiled a planned terrorist attack, according to reports.

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said in a press conference that there was an ongoing operation in the northwest Parisian suburb of Argenteuil, NBC News reports.

Cazeneuve reportedly said that one “major arrest” was made, adding that the suspect is a French national who was in an “advanced stage” of planning a terror attack, when police raided is home. Officers returned to the home on Thursday to continue their raid.

“This arrest is the result of a meticulous investigation carried out over a number of weeks involving important physical and technical surveillance resources, and required a tight and constant cooperation between European services,” he continued.

“Once again, it demonstrates how active our anti-terrorism services are. I remind you that so far 75 individuals linked with terrorist activities have been arrested in our country since the beginning of 2016. These arrests have led to 37 people being charged and 28 detained,” Cazeneuve reportedly said.

According to French news agency, AFP, Cazeneuve also said that the man “belongs to a terrorist network that south to strike our country.”

Bomb disposal experts were also present at the scene to ensure police could continue their search under “optimal conditions,” AFP reports.

The raids come just two days after the terror attacks in Brussels that left 31 dead and hundreds other injured. In the aftermath, the ISIS has claimed responsibility for both, the attack at the Brussels Zaventem Airport’s Departures Hall and the Maalbeek Metro Station near the headquarters of the European Union.

Following the incidents, Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel called the attacks “blind, violent and cowardly bombings.”

You May Like

EDIT POST