He still doesn’t want to talk about it much, but Paul McCartney says he’s “surprisingly okay” given what he’s been through during his divorce from Heather Mills.
“It’s very tough, you know, going through a separation,” McCartney told ABC’s Nick Watt in an interview that aired Thursday morning on Good Morning America. “But I’m just trying to keep my dignity, trying to just move forward and not talk about it in interviews, really.”
In short, he said: “I’m okay, thank you. Surprisingly okay.”
McCartney, 64, and Mills, 39, a former model, announced their separation last year after four years of marriage. They have a 3-year-old daughter, Beatrice.
The divorce has been highly publicized in the U.K., with ugly accusations on both sides. In April, Mills, a recent contestant on ABC’s Dancing With the Stars, broke down on Ryan Seacrest’s KIIS-FM radio show when a caller said she deserved an apology from the media for the way she’d been treated.
McCartney, who this week just released his 21st solo album, Memory Almost Full, also told ABC that there have been times in the past year that he regretted writing the Beatles classic “When I’m 64.”
“It just draws great attention to that age and reaching it,” he said. “In actual fact, it’s actually not been bad, you know, really. People still feed me and one or two people still need me.”
McCartney will be 65 on June 18.