LIVE

Their split, previously dubbed a separation, will be made official

By Courtney Rubin and Stephen M. Silverman
Updated June 13, 2006 08:55 AM
Advertisement
Paul and Heather Mills McCartney
Credit: Jon Kopaloff/Filmmagic

After previous statements referring to her split from husband Paul McCartney as a separation, Heather Mills McCartney is now using the D-word.

“Contrary to recent press reports, Heather Mills McCartney will not be giving any interviews or commenting in relation to her pending divorce from her husband,” said a statement issued by Mills McCartney’s office Sunday.

And Tuesday morning, Mills McCartney’s lawyer released another statement, marked “urgent,” saying that she planned to sue a British tabloid after her divorce had been finalized.

“The interests of her daughter (Beatrice, 2) are of paramount concern,” the statement says. “She will defer issue of legal proceedings until the arrangements in relation to the divorce are concluded, but intends to sue at that stage all parties, including individuals, who are intent on damaging her reputation.”

On Sunday, Britain’s News of the World ran an article claiming that Mills McCartney once worked as a high-priced call girl.

The statement continues: “Heather is very distressed by this article. She continues to recover slowly from her revision amputation operation and has suffered weight loss, anxiety and sleeping problems as a result of the stress and anxiety of the break up of her marriage. The coverage of this in certain newspapers has caused further distress and illness to her.”

The McCartneys announced their split in May after four years of marriage.