Meeting someone in person after only communicating online can be terrifying – but the payoff can be huge.
Thirteen people took to Reddit to talk about their first dates with their significant others, whom they never would have met if it weren’t for dating sites. Thanks, Internet!
1. “It was perfect. I already loved him. When I saw him in person and got my first hug, I knew I was meant to be with him. We celebrate our second wedding anniversary this Sunday.”
2. “I couldn’t stop talking and got incredibly drunk on several bottles of wine. Then I went back to his place, and we had sex. I kind of assumed he wouldn’t speak to me again, but now it’s been two years and we’re very happy.”
3. “It went really well. We had drinks got to know each other as friends and now we are married with children 10 years later.”
4. “I offered to pay for the bus to my town – two hours away. I knew it was a huge step for her, and we spent a great night together. We enjoyed food and as much wine as I could afford (not much at that time) a walk on the beach. I was going to stay on the couch, but she invited me to the bed. The relationship itself lasted four years; it is the best relationship I have ever had.”
5. “I met my husband in an online game we both played. He flew 7,000 miles to meet me in person! He was way hotter than I expected. I was so shy that I couldn’t make eye contact, so I just went in for a hug and stayed there. He smelled amazing. His kindness and charm erased any awkwardness I might have felt. My only regret is that I didn’t meet him ten years earlier.”
6. “I was super relieved he was who he said he was. He was even more handsome in person, too. So we met for coffee on a week day (safe). I had an exit strategy just in case. I had to go to Walmart. Well, the date went so well, he didn’t want it to end. But I really did need to go to Walmart. So he offered to go with me. Instead of buying tampons, Spaghetti-O’s and junk food that I wanted, I had to buy fruit and veggies instead. (I really do eat properly, so I had plenty of that at home already and needed junk for the kids). We dated for a year.”
7. “I met my last girlfriend online. She turned out to be even cuter in person. She very quietly listened to me talk, except for when she was making fun of the Netflix shows that I chose. Then we went upstairs to her room, we made out and we cuddled. I had been super depressed for a while. I just remember laying there tracing my fingers along her stomach and feeling this awesome content feeling almost immediately.”
8. “I met my current wife on a dating site in China. We sent texts for a week and a half or so and decided to meet. My first impression: She was really cold. I mean, really cold. All my questions got one word answers. I was doing my best to make conversation, and it was like pounding my head against the wall. She was pretty and well-dressed, that but she came off all wooden. Her first impression of me was that I was too skinny – so much so that she thought I might actually have a drink or drug problem. Eventually, though, on that first date, she started to open up a bit, relax and even laugh. It ended much better than it started, so much so that we met up again the very next day and were ‘an item’ within two weeks, living together after three months, and married after two and a half years.”
9. “It was awkward at first, honestly, but we quickly warmed up to each other. I think it was more nerve-wracking when we FaceTimed for the very first time ever! Our first date was over two years ago now, and we’re still going strong today.”
10. “We had talked a bit in messages for a few days, mostly witty banter between questions, trying to get to know each other better. She then shot me a text, at 10:30 p.m. at night, on a Thursday, telling me to meet her and her gay friend at a strip club near her place. I worked the next day and hesitated, but then decided to just do it. As I was leaving my house, she texted me again saying they had left the strip club and went back to her apartment, and invited me there. This is where I really hesitated. I hadn’t really done the online dating thing before, and had to talk myself into even meeting at a ‘public place’ like the strip bar. Once again, I decided to go. I met her at her apartment, and she was completely trashed. We hung out for a bit and watched Dumb and Dumber. She told me I could stay over due to already agreeing over text that there wouldn’t be any sex involved. Her friend stayed on the couch, and we went to the bedroom. We got a little rowdy, but I stuck to my guns, and we just ended up making out, a lot. The next morning was pretty awkward, but I invited her over that day because we wanted to hang out, but my family and I were having a movie night. So she met my family on day two, and we’ve been together pretty much every day since. We just celebrated our first wedding anniversary last week and had our first kid.”
11. “It was a little awkward and odd at first. We were both trying too hard to impress the other. She came back again to visit one last time before I moved, and we really hit it off. This was in 1994. We married in 1998 and are still happy together three kids later.”
12. “I was super shy, but we hit it off really well. It wasn’t so much a date as it was just meeting in a public place. Two days later was my birthday, and he took me out to breakfast. We continued seeing each other after that, and we have now been married happily for two years.”
13. “I met a guy on a dating site and invited him over for mac and cheese after texting for an hour or so. Totally rash, I know, but totally worth it. We clicked immediately. We are getting married in April.”
All posts have been edited from Reddit for length and clarity.