The remaining band members took part in their first interview post-Zayn's split
Zayn Malik broke millions of hearts when he announced he was leaving British boy band One Direction, and now, in their first official interview since his departure, the group’s remaining four crooners are speaking out.
“It’s been a tough few weeks, probably the toughest since the band was formed five years ago,” Payne, 21, told the newspaper. “We’re gutted that Zayn chose to leave, but now after a few performances as a four piece, we’re feeling confident and are determined to carry on stronger than ever.”
Malik, 22, who announced he was quitting the group on the One Direction Facebook page on March 25, is already working on solo music with producer Naughty Boy. The producer teased a possible song by Malik on his Sound Cloud page just days after the singer’s announced departure. (The track has since been removed.)
Despite the loss of their bandmate, the guys are staying positive about what’s to come and continuing their On the Road Again tour.
“We’re looking forward to seeing all our fans on the tour this year,” said Horan, 21, in the interview, which was published on Friday. “All we want to do is make them proud and return their faith in us with a brilliant tour and an amazing new album.”
The group reportedly began working on a new record in February, and despite the shake up, will continue to make new music. Styles confirmed the rumors, telling The Sun “It’s very exciting to be working on our fifth album.”
“All four of us are 100 percent committed to staying in One Direction and we want to thank the fans for being so incredible during this time,” Tomlinson, 23, assured fans.
Malik also spoke to the newspaper last week, and insisted there was no rift between the group and he was doing “what felt right.”