http://www.kaltura.com/p/557781/sp/55778100/embedIframeJs/uiconf_id/12411302/partner_id/557781Two boys are being treated for second- and third-degree sunburns they got while on a daycare field trip to a water park near Tulsa, Oklahoma. Now area officials are looking into whether the horrific burns could be attributed to criminal neglect.
Shaunna Broadway (identified in some news stories as Shauna Oxford), dropped Connor, 7, and Trae, 5, off at Happiness Is a Learning Center, a daycare in Vinita, Oklahoma, on Friday morning. When she picked them up later that day, she saw they had been sunburned extensively.
According to an interview Broadway gave to Buzzfeed, she said the daycare staff didn’t bring sunscreen to the water park and instead told the boys to keep their clothes on. The boys didn’t, and that day the temperature in Vinita soared past 100 degrees. (Buzzfeed also has photos of the boys’ injuries, but be forewarned: They are graphic.)
“It was common sense that they shouldn’t have been out in the sun all day, even if they wore their clothes,” Broadway told Buzzfeed.
By Sunday, the pain experienced by the boys had grown so great that they were airlifted to a hospital in Galveston, Texas. A Go Fund Me page has been set up to help the family pay for the boys’ medical expenses. (The text on the page notes that original photo of the boys’ burns was deemed too graphic and has since been switched out with a photo of the boys in their hospital beds.)
According to KPRC News, police are now looking at footage of the water park during from the day of the visit to see if charges should be filed against the daycare workers. KPRC also notes that the daycare facility has since closed.
Speaking to CNN, the boys’ grandfather, Wayne Broadway, said the experience has been traumatic for the entire family.
“It’s just devastating. These boys, my world pretty much revolves around them,” Wayne Broadway said. “I’ve always been grandpa but I’ve always filled in the dad post too, so we’re really close, and it just breaks my heart because Grandpa couldn’t fix this.”