Bobbi Kristina Brown's 'Distraught' Boyfriend Nick Gordon Checks into Rehab
Gordon is begging Bobbi Kristina's family to let him visit her in the hospital, despite their "toxic" romance
Nick Gordon – the boyfriend of Bobbi Kristina Brown – has checked into rehab, a source tells PEOPLE.
“Nick did go to rehab,” says a source close to the Brown family. “He is very distraught over what is going on. He really wants to see her. He is upset about a lot of things: her being sick, him never getting respect (from her family.)”
It was revealed on Thursday that Dr. Phil McGraw held an “emotionally charged” intervention with the man Bobbi Kristina has called “her husband” on The Dr. Phil Show, which will air March 11 on CBS.
In the episode, Dr. Phil will be “offering Gordon the treatment he appears to so desperately need as he battles drug and alcohol addiction,” according to a CBS press release.
“As we sit here right now, my son’s life hangs in the balance,” says Gordon’s mother, Michelle, who appears in the episode with Dr. Phil, according to the release.
Bobbi Kristina’s family isn’t as supportive of Gordon – at least when it comes to the young couple’s relationship. Last month, a lawyer for her father, Bobby Brown, made a point to publicly clarify that Gordon and Bobbi Kristina were never married, even though she has stated they were husband and wife on social media.
Bobbi Kristina’s aunt, Pat Houston, took out a restraining order on Gordon last year. In 2013, her grandmother, Cissy Houston, wrote an open letter to Bobbi Kristina, telling her to wait to get married because “I think you’re too young.”
Gordon and Bobbi Kristina “had a very toxic and codependent relationship,” says the source close to the family. “They could never get on the right track.”
Roswell Police Chief Rusty Grant told PEOPLE that the police are “going to follow the evidence and see where it leads us.”
While the couple’s relationship could be rocky, Gordon was “the only person [Bobbi Kristina] really trusted was him,” says the source. “So even though they argued, she always went back to him.”
Gordon, who has been locked in a bitter feud with Brown, isn’t giving up trying to see Bobbi Kristina. “Let me in the hospital to see my girl and let her hear my voice,” he Tweeted on Feb. 21. “SHE WILL WAKE UP!!!”
After this and other public pleas to see Bobbi Kristina, her father released a statement through his lawyers claiming that “Mr. Gordon was offered an opportunity to potentially visit Bobbi Kristina and he declined to meet the terms of any possible visit. Obviously Mr. Gordon is not as desperate to visit Bobbi Kristina as he wants the world to believe.”
Gordon’s lawyers fired back with a statement of their own, saying, “Per his own words, Mr. Brown has only ‘offered an opportunity to potentially meet with Bobbi Kristina’ if Nick were to meet certain conditions, conditions that we, his attorneys, have advised him not to meet, particularly in light of Mr. Brown’s inability to guarantee access.”
Brown’s lawyers replied once more, implying that Gordon needed to explain exactly how Bobbi Kristina drowned before the Brown family would consider letting Gordon visit her bedside.
Gordon has also taken on Brown publicly, claiming on Twitter that the singer only saw his daughter four times in five years and that he and his family “want Whitney’s $$$ which belongs to Krissi or Cissy.”
Gordon’s lawyer had no comment when reached by PEOPLE on Saturday.
“The whole thing is a mess,” says the source close to the Brown family.
• Reporting by LINDA MARX and STEVE HELLING
The Future of Bobbi Kristina Brown’s 20 Million Fortune
More on Bobbi Kristina Brown:
• Bobbi Kristina’s Cousin: We’re Still Praying, ‘Though Doctors Don’t See Any Hope for Change’
• Family Gathering to Say Goodbye to Bobbi Kristina Brown
• Max Lomas, Who Initially Found Bobbi Kristina Brown Unresponsive, Just ‘Wants His Good Friend Back’
• Houston Family Had Restraining Order Against Bobbi Kristina’s ‘Husband’ Nick Gordon
• Bobbi Kristina and ‘Husband’ Nick Gordon Were Never Married
• Bobby Brown’s Bedside Song to Daughter Bobbi Kristina: ‘The Greatest Love of All’
• Were Drugs Involved with Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Near-Drowning?
• Kevin Costner on Bobbi Kristina Brown: ‘I Can’t Imagine’ What Her Family Is Going Through
• Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Family Keeping Hospital Bedside Vigil
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Is ‘Fighting For Her Life,’ Family Says
• For Bobbi Kristina Brown, Minutes Without Air ‘Could Be Grim’
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Is Still Unresponsive, According to Source
• Do Bobbi Kristina Browns’s Social Media Accounts Hold Clues About Why She Was Found Unresponsive?
• Bobbi Kristina Brown: Inside the Troubled Life of Whitney Houston’s Daughter
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Hospitalized After Being Found Unresponsive in Tub
• Stars Rally Around Bobbi Kristina Brown
• Bobbi Kristina’s Husband Is Not the Bad Guy, Says Source
• Bobby Brown ‘Inconsolable’ Over Bobbi Kristina’s Hospitalization
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Recovery Would Be a Miracle, Says Source