National Rum Day: Drink Like a Sailor With These Cocktail Recipes
You don't have to be a pirate to appreciate a nice rum-based concoction
You don’t need to be Jack Sparrow to enjoy a drink called the “Privateer Punch!”
So break out the rum – like its fellow liquors, rum has its own national holiday on Aug. 16 every year – and kick back with one of four delicious rum recipes, created by top mixologists, using light and dark varieties.
Daisy de Obeah
A perfect marriage of minty and spicy
- 2 oz. Denizen Rum (or similar white rum)
- 1 oz. lime juice
- ½ oz. cane syrup (or simple syrup, which is 1 part sugar to 1 part water, brought to a boil and cooled)
- ¼ oz. Velvet Falernum alcoholic syrup (closest substitute is grenadine)
- ¾ oz. Strega Liqueur (or similar yellow herbal liqueur)
- Shake all ingredients, except Strega, dry (without ice). Pour into a tall glass, fill with crushed ice, and stir. “Float” the Strega by holding the back of a spoon over your glass, then lightly pouring the Strega over it until it forms a top layer. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs or saffron.
• 2 oz. Caliche Rum (or similar white rum)
• 1 oz. lime juice
• ¼ oz. agave nectar (possible substitutes include honey and maple syrup)
• 8 mint leaves
In a mixing glass, lightly muddle the mint. Add the remaining ingredients, fill with ice, and shake until well-chilled. Strain into an ice-filled highball glass, top with crushed ice, and garnish with mint sprig.
A summer drink with a hint of autumn
- 1½ oz. Ron Abuelo Añejo (or similar dark rum)
- ¾ oz. lemon juice
- ½ oz. agave nectar (see above)
- ½ oz. apple cider
- 4 – 5 chunks of apple
- 1 rosemary sprig
- Muddle apple chunks in a shaker and then pour in the rest of the ingredients. Shake and strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with rosemary sprig and one slice of apple.
Black Privateer Punch
A fruity party punch (recipe serves 35)
- 1 750 milliliter bottle of Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum (or similar spicy black rum)
- 3 750 ml bottles red wine
- 1 750 ml bottle cherry juice
- 2 oranges, sliced
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 2 limes, sliced
- ½ lb. cherries, pitted
- 1 liter cola
- Chill all ingredients. In a large punch bowl, crush the fresh fruit to extract the juices. Combine liquids and add a large block of ice. Serve the punch in wine glasses with pieces of fruit.