The model's first day of duty "went well," says a sanitation department rep

By Stephen M. Silverman and Charlotte Triggs
Updated March 20, 2007 11:00 AM

Another day of cleanup, another drop-dead outfit for Naomi Campbell.

The supermodel, 36, showed up for her second day of work in a New York City garage around 7:40 Tuesday morning, decked out in a fedora, oversized sunglasses, tight jeans and a fur coat – with her work boots slung over her shoulder.

Monday had been her first day of court-ordered community service in the Department of Sanitation facility. She worked side by side with three others, also doing their community service, while a sanitation officer kept away curious onlookers.

“She started at 8 a.m.,” DOS spokesman Matthew Li Pani tells PEOPLE. “She’s got various tasks she’s going to be doing during the week. She’s going to be mopping, sweeping, cleaning offices, bathrooms, locker rooms if necessary. There’s plenty of work for her to do in the garage.”

Pani says Campbell gets two brief breaks and a one-hour lunch before her work day ends at 4 p.m. While she can leave the garage to take her lunch, on Monday she opted to order in. (She must pay for her own meal.)

“She’s treated just like any other community service worker that’s come through the garage,” he adds. “She’s got work to do, but she’s treated with respect and she’s treated fairly like everyone else.”

“I’m not going to say she enjoyed herself, but it definitely went very well,” Keith Mellis, deputy chief of the DOS, said after Campbell finished her first day of the five-day sentence for assaulting her maid.

One DOS employee who worked alongside Campbell on Monday told PEOPLE, “I was helping her out with something. She’s a very nice lady. She’s normal. She was just cleaning up the place like everybody else. She talked to us.”

At the end of her work day Monday, Campbell – who’d changed from her work boots back into her Christian Louboutin stilettos – left the garage and made her way through the crowd of photographers to an awaiting Cadillac Escalade.

Reporting by LESLEY MESSER