LIVE

Now, after their release in the missing U.S. teen case, official may recall men

By Stephen M. Silverman
Updated July 06, 2005 08:00 AM
Advertisement

Aruba’s attorney general is reportedly thinking about appealing the release of two Surinamese brothers held in the disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway as her mother, Beth Holloway Twitty, asked other countries “not to offer them a safe haven.”

Prosecutors have until Thursday to appeal the judge’s ruling that there wasn’t enough evidence to hold the two men, reports the Associated Press.

The brothers, Deepak Kalpoe, 21, and Satish Kalpoe, 18, were freed Monday – the same day that criminal charges had been expected to be announced in the unsolved case.

The move prompted blistering criticism from Holloway’s mother, who said at a press conference Tuesday that she’s worried the two brothers might flee Aruba where they had been jailed since June 9.

“I’m asking all nations not to offer them a safe haven,” a tearful Twitty said, adding that she fears the two brothers “will not only be allowed to walk freely among the tourists and citizens of Aruba, but there are no limits as to where they may go.”

A third detainee, Joran van der Sloot, the 17-year-old son of a high-ranking Aruban official, remained in custody for another 60 days as police continue their search for Holloway, 18, who vanished on the island during a chaperoned trip with a high school group.

Twitty has insisted that the brothers, along with van der Sloot, have important information about Natalee’s disappearance and should be held until they release it. “All three of those boys know what happened to her,” she has told TV interviewers.

Attorney Rudy Oomen said it was unclear if his clients Deepak and Satish Kalpoe are still regarded as suspects, AP reports.