Family members of the passengers of missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 expressed frustration with officials on Thursday for sending out conflicting information on whether a piece of the plane had been found.
Last week, a 10-ft. fragment, which has been identified as a flaperon from a Boeing 777, was found on Réunion island, a French territory east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean.
On Wednesday, the Malaysian Prime Minister confirmed that the piece was indeed from MH370, which disappeared on March 8, 2014, after taking off from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, en route to Beijing. But an unidentified American official told the New York Times that further investigation was necessary, citing a modification to the flaperon that did not exactly match airline maintenance records.
However, French officials have said they are fairly confident the piece comes from MH370, largely because it is the only missing Boeing 777 in the world.
“Why the hell do you have one confirm and one not?” asked Sara Weeks, whose brother Paul was on board the ill-fated flight, according to the Associated Press.
“I don’t believe it,” Bao Lanfang, whose son, daughter-in-law and 3-year-old grandchild were on MH370, told the Guardian. “It has been 515 [days] – that is enough time for them to have produced fake debris.”
On Thursday morning, officials said that they had recovered more aircraft debris from the tiny, remote island, including seat cushions and window panes, as well as a piece of aluminum, CNN reports.
Authorities have not confirmed that the pieces belong to MH370.
On Thursday, police officers were called to hold back angry relatives outside the building where the Malaysia Airlines offices are located in Beijing.
“Please don’t let them keep lying,” Lanfang yelled, as she was escorted out of the building’s lobby and onto the street. “I can’t allow them to keep lying. I want them to reveal the truth immediately. I won’t believe them – no matter what the French results say.”