In her new cookbook, Latin D’Lite, chef Ingrid Hoffmann offers a healthy spin on more than 150 classic Latin recipes. But there’s one that stands out from the rest. That’s right: The Food Network star considers these make-them-in-a-snap quesadillas one of her “favorite go-to dishes for an easy breakfast or dinner.”
If you’re in the mood to inject a little flavor into your next meal, check out this recipe, which is big on flavor and small on time commitment.
Sunny Fried Eggs and Avocado Quesadillas
• 1 tsp. olive oil
• 2 large eggs
• 2 large whole-grain tortillas
• 1 ripe Haas (black) avocado, peeled, seeded and mashed
• 1 medium tomato, sliced
• 1 tbsp. pine nuts or pumpkin seeds, toasted
• 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
• ½ jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced (optional)
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. Brush a small nonstick skillet with olive oil; heat over medium heat. Add eggs to skillet. Cover and cook sunny side up 2 to 3 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks are beginning to thicken. Transfer eggs to a plate.
2. Warm tortillas in a separate ungreased skillet over medium heat.
3. Divide avocado, tomatoes, pine nuts, cilantro and jalapeño (if desired) evenly between tortillas. Top each with an egg. Drizzle with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Fold over and serve immediately.
Want more? Click here to continue reading this story and get bonus extras only available in this week’s digital edition.