May 11, 2007 04:05 PM

A photographer has sued Lindsay Lohan for allegedly injuring him with a car.

According to court documents filed in New York City on Thursday, Giovanni Arnold claims the actress, 20, struck him while driving a BMW on March 13 in Manhattan’s West Village.

Arnold says Lohan was “negligent, careless and reckless” and that as a result, he “sustained severe and permanent personal injuries” and economic loss. The lawsuit does not name the amount he is seeking in damages.

Arnold says the car was owned by Lohan’s mother, Dina, who is also named as a defendant in the suit.

At the time of the alleged incident, police were on the scene but no accident report was filed. The following day, a source close to Lohan told PEOPLE the actress had been plagued by particularly aggressive paparazzi all that week, and that during the previous night’s fracas, “the police totally took Lindsay’s side.”

In an appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman on Wednesday, Lohan was asked if she had really run over a photographer’s foot, as had been reported in March. “No, but I should,” she joked. “The guy completely faked it.”

A rep for Lohan was not immediately available for comment.

(Access Hollywood, which first reported the story, has posted the lawsuit here.)

Reporting by MARK DAGOSTINO and RYAN PIENCIAK

You May Like

EDIT POST