End the Summer with These Labor Day Recipes
Say goodbye to sunny weather with this tequila-based beverage and a grill-worthy Mexican dish
The end of summer means that the supply of half-naked photos of Joe Manganiello may soon be running low.
But don’t let the looming colder weather – and subsequent need for less-revealing clothes – put a damper on your Labor Day plans. Here’s a good way to say sayonara to summer: Whip up a sunny cocktail and fire up the grill for one last poolside meal with these recipes (which are almost as good as Manganiello’s abs).
Oaxacan BBQ Chicken
Created by celebrity Chef, and Mexico native, Javier Plascencia; serves 6
• ½ onion, minced
• 4 cloves of garlic, minced
• ½ cup Anejo tequila (recipe recommends Tequila Don Julio Anejo)
• ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 2 cups ketchup
• ¼ cup plum tomato, chopped
• 2 tsp. mole negro
• ½ cup apple cider vinegar
• ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
• ½ cup shredded piloncillo, Mexican brown sugar (substitute: ½ cup dark brown sugar and 1 tsp. molasses)
• ½ tsp. Mexican hot sauce
• 2 lbs. chicken, cut into pieces
In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic and tequila. Simmer for 10 minutes or until onion is translucent. Mix in the black pepper, salt, ketchup, tomato, mole, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, piloncillo and hot sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Run sauce through a strainer if you prefer a smooth sauce. Brush sauce all over chicken. Cook on a hot grill, brushing occasionally with sauce.
Created by New York mixologist Leo Robitschek of the celeb-approved bistro Eleven Madison Park and the NoMad Hotel; makes 1 drink
• ¾ oz. clear tequila (recipe recommends Tequila Don Julio Blanco)
• ¼ oz. apéritif wine
• ¼ oz. Mezcal
• ¼ oz. agave syrup
• ¼ oz. fresh lime juice
• Cucumber slices (for garnish)
Muddle cucumber in a cocktail shaker. Add the tequila, wine, Mezcal, syrup and lime juice into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well. Strain contents into a rocks glass with fresh ice. Garnish with a cucumber slice.