July 04, 2006 07:55 AM

In her first interview since her breast-cancer diagnosis in May of last year, Australian singer Kylie Minogue says that she and her family “fell to pieces” when they first heard the news from physicians.

“The moment my doctor told me, I went silent,” Minogue, 38, reveals in an interview to be broadcast on Britain’s Sky News on July 16. “My mum and dad were with me. Then we all fell to pieces. I was saying, ‘No, dad, I’m getting a plane.’ He said, ‘No, you’re not getting a plane. You’ll sit down.”‘

Despite the diagnosis, she says she was determined to go on with the Australian leg of her “Showgirl” world tour, but her parents, Ron and Carol Minogue, convinced her to postpone it and begin treatment immediately.

Surgery to remove the tumor followed, along with a course of chemotherapy, which caused her to lose her hair. The chemo ended in December, and Minogue still receives treatment to prevent a recurrence of the cancer.

“I feel like I’ve got a second chance at life. It’s like a new life,” she says in the interview.

Minogue made her first appearance since her illness at Elton John’s White Tie and Tiara ball last week, Sky News reports. She is also set to resurrect her concert schedule – now to be called the Showgirl Homecoming Tour and spread out over a slightly longer time to make it easier on Minogue, Australian concert promoter and long-time friend Michael Gudinski told reporters last month.

“She is still getting tired on the odd day, but she looked as fit as a fiddle,” Gudinski said.

You May Like

EDIT POST