Kim Kardashian West Was 'Hysterical' When She Called Kanye After Horrifying Gunpoint Robbery

Kim Kardashian West is shaken up following her traumatizing robbery in Paris during Fashion Week

It’s going to be a while before Kim Kardashian West can recover from her frightening ordeal of being bound and robbed at gunpoint in Paris.

“Kim was terrified,” a source close to Kanye West tells PEOPLE. “She was just hysterical when she talked to Kanye. He said she was really upset and it took him a few seconds to understand what she was saying to him. He wanted to get to her as soon as he could. He told her that he couldn’t care less about the jewelry; he’s just thankful that she’s okay.”

Kim was in a complete state of shock when she phoned her 39-year-old husband who was in New York City at the time headlining at Meadows Music & Arts Festival in Queens. It was there that he was informed about his wife’s scary encounter and he stopped the song and told fans, “I’m sorry, I’m sorry. Family emergency, I have to stop the show.”

“The whole thing happened really fast,” the source adds. “‘Ye says that it all hit her after the guys had left, and then it sunk in. It took her a little bit of time to pull it together. Of course her family is all there for her, and Kanye is there for her, too, but she’s going to deal with the aftermath of this for a while.”

RELATED VIDEO: Kanye Abruptly Ends Concert to Deal with Family Emergency

“Kim left Paris to reunite with Kanye and her kids,” a family source tells PEOPLE. “She is very upset and couldn’t wait to leave Paris. She gave a statement to the police and left right after. She got robbed of her jewelry, but doesn’t care. She is just happy to be alive.”

“She has never been in a more frightening situation,” the source adds. “She still can’t believe it happened. Kris [Jenner] has been good about giving updates to concerned friends. Kim’s family feels terrible about what happened to her.”

Following the robbery, a source close to the 35-year-old tells PEOPLE, “This was one of Kim’s biggest fears.”

“She’s always known the threats are out there, but for something to happen, it’s almost unimaginable,” says the source. “It’s going to take her a very long time to feel safe again.”

The robbery occurred early Monday morning after Kim returned from a dinner hosted by designer Azzedine Alaïa. The intruders entered her room at No Address Hotel, bound her hands and feet with tape then locked her in the bathroom before stealing a jewelry box worth $6.7 million in jewelry and a ring worth $4 million, police sources told La Parisien.

After Kim gave her statement to investigators, she left the hotel for the airport where a private jet was waiting to take her back to the U.S.

Updated by Brittany King
Related Articles