Katie Holmes & Suri's Lunch Date Treat: The Recipe
The curried chicken salad, from popular New York restaurant Alice's Tea Cup, features apricot jam for some sweetness
“They come every few months,” says an eyewitness to their latest visit. “They are very low maintenance. They were enjoying themselves.”
During their hour-long stay, Katie ordered a curried chicken salad and Suri had a grilled cheese sandwich, and both left the Upper East side restaurant with a special treat. Suri walked out with a sparkly pink fairy wand while her mom purchased red velvet and vanilla cupcakes plus two copies of the restaurant’s cookbook.
Think Katie will be making the chicken salad dish at home? Perhaps, but we have the recipe so you can try it yourself:
Curried Chicken Salad Sandwich
(Makes 4-6 sandwich servings)
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp. curry powder
- ¼ cup apricot jam
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion (about ½ medium onion)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Rub the chicken breasts with 1 tbsp. of the curry powder, place them on a lightly greased baking sheet and roast until a meat thermometer registers 125 to 160 degrees in the thickest part, or until the juices run clear. Let the chicken cool.
3. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1 tbsp. curry powder with the apricot jam, sour cream and mayonnaise.
4. When the chicken is cool, cut into ½ inch cubes. Add the chicken, celery, and onion to the bowl and stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Any unused curried chicken recipe can be covered and refrigerated for up to 5 days.)
Recipe adapted from Alice’s Tea Cup cookbook by Haley and Lauren Fox. (William Morrow Cookbooks, 2010)