The rapper may want to take a closer look at the accuracy of his "Famous" lyric
The rapper mentions Swift in “Famous,” the fourth track off The Life of Pablo, his seventh studio album, which he debuted on Thursday.
In it, he claims to be the reason for Swift’s super-fast climb to stardom. Although West defended the song, tweeting how the “Blank Space” singer thought his shout-out was “hilarious” (per a past phone conversation), the lyric still struck a chord with fans, friends and family members of the pop star.
Is Yeezy really the reason behind Swift’s mega-success? Not if you take even a quick scan of her impressive achievements, which she started scoring way before first meeting the rapper on the VMAs stage in 2009:
1. One year before the 2009 MTV VMAs incident, Swift took home a Young Hollywood Award for Superstar of Tomorrow and was nominated for a best new artist Grammy in 2008.
2. In 2010, she became the youngest artist to win a Grammy for album of the year for Fearless. That same year, she scooped up Grammys for best country song (“You Belong with Me”) and best country album (“Fearless”).
3. Swift’s third album, Speak Now, became the “Fastest Selling Digital Album for a Female Artist” according to the Guinness Book of World Records.
4. The singer was named Entertainment Weekly‘s youngest Entertainer of the Year in 2010.
5. “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” was crowned the fastest-selling single of 2013, hitting No. 1 on iTunes in less than an hour.
6. She’s currently the most popular person on Instagram with a total of 65.9 million followers (and counting).
7. In 2015, she was the youngest person to be included in Forbes‘ “100 Most Powerful Women” list.
8. She made a flawless transition from country to full-on pop with the release of 1989 – and has now won music awards in both genres.
9. She’s also an actress, scoring roles in CSI, Valentine’s Day, New Girl and voicing the character of Audrey in 2012’s The Lorax.
10. Kobe Bryant presented the star with a special banner that reads “Taylor Swift Most Sold Out Performances” at the Staples Center in L.A. in 2015.
11. In 2014, she became the only artist in music history to have three of her albums – 1989, Red and Speak Now – each sell more than 1 million copies in one week.
12. Swift became the only artist to receive Billboard‘s “Woman of the Year” title twice, in 2014.
13. In 2016, she scooped up the Guinness World Record for Most Million-Selling Weeks on U.S. Album Charts.
14. She is up for seven Grammys at the 2016 awards, airing Monday night.
and that’s only a handful of accolades. Kanye, we’re gonna let you finish, but Taylor is one of the best self-made artists of all time.