Julie Andrews celebrates her 80th birthday on Thursday, and we could not be more thrilled to have an excuse to revisit our favorite moments of hers – on the stage and screen.
Whether she’s playing a queen or nanny or governess – or just casually being a 12-year-old prodigy – Andrews brings to all of her roles a majesty and charm that is simply infectious. Basically, homegirl gives us life goals, and we can only hope that when we are 80 we are one-eightieth as beautiful, poised and inspirational as she is.
Here are a few of our favorite things about Andrews:
1. That time 12-year-old Julie Andrews SLAYED THE SCENE.
The only thing we could do at age 12 was apply glittery blue eye shadow to our lids.
2. That time she sang the sweet hell out of West Side Story‘s ‘Somewhere.’
Real talk: We have never needed anything more than those earrings.
3. That time she belted a Sound of Music–My Fair Lady medley in 1965.
That’s right, Girl Talk. You’re not the only one in the mash-up game.
4. That time her voice was what we imagine an angel’s exhale sounds like.
Let’s get #BringBackTheJulieAndrewsShow trending worldwide.
5. That time she wore a sequined vest and capri sweatpants better than any human ever will again.
Ya better work.
6. That time she was the best part of our childhood.
To this very day, we still take all medicines – from Tums to Advil to our vitamin D supplement – with a spoonful of sugar.
7. Seriously, they just don’t make songs like this anymore.
8. That time she sang about her favorite things and was our favorite thing.
Pass on woolen mittens, though. It’s hard to eat food when you’re wearing them.