Judge: Charlie Stay Away from Denise
Sheen denies claims that he threatened and hit Richards
Charlie Sheen has been ordered by a judge to stay away from his estranged wife, Denise Richards.
Sheen was ordered on Friday to stay at least 300 feet from Richards, her home, her car and their two daughters except during supervised visits with the kids, according to court documents filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.
The judge granted Sheen one-day-per-week visits with 2-year-old Sam and 10-month-old Lola and scheduled another hearing for May 12.
In court papers filed Friday, Richards claimed that her Sheen threatened to kill her.
“I am filing now because I can no longer accept (Sheen’s) abusive and threatening manner and must stop him from the cycle of his abuse toward me and our children and his continued threats of violence and statements that he is going to kill me,” Richards, 35, said in the papers.
In her 17-page filing, Richards said that Sheen’s gambling, pill-popping and violent mood swings led to their initial separation last year.
Among her allegations: That Sheen abused prescription drugs after the 2004 birth of their first daughter, Sam, and told Richards “I ‘better not tell anybody about his using these drugs and better keep it to myself.’ I understood by these statements that (he) would physically harm me and our baby.”
Richards also claimed that on the way to the hospital for the birth of their daughter Lola last year, Sheen placed a gambling bet by phone, and was checking his pager for the results as she was wheeled into surgery for her C-section.
Things turned violent on Dec. 27, 2005, according to the papers, when Sheen allegedly hit Richards’s wrist and shoved her in the stomach after she confronted him about pornography Web sites featuring “very young girls” that he’d been visiting. She claims Sheen told her that “if I revealed anything about his lifestyle, ‘You won’t lay your head down at night.’ I understood this to mean that he would kill me.”
Several days later, she claimed Sheen pushed her over while she was holding Lola and “said to me that he was going to have me killed.”
In his own filing, Sheen, 40, has denied claims that he threatened and hit Richards on Dec. 27 and 30, saying, “I deny having engaged in any such conduct.”
In a statement issued by Richards’s rep on Friday, the actress said, “I am disappointed that the situation has deteriorated to the point that it has become necessary to seek the assistance of the court. However, my primary concern is and always has been the welfare of the children and this action today was taken to ensure their safety as well as mine.”
Sheen issued a statement of his own on Friday, calling Richards’s allegations “a most obvious immature and transparent smear campaign designed to hurt, embarrass and ultimately extort me.”
The statement continued, “I deeply regret (that) her response to my request for the court to decide what s best for our children has taken the form of baseless allegations that I deny. For the sake of my children, I am electing not to reciprocate in kind.
Richards originally filed for divorce in March of last year, when she was six months pregnant with Lola. The pair appeared to briefly reconcile after Lola’s birth in June, but on Jan. 4, they requested that their divorce proceed with a private arbitrator.