Ryan Garza/Detroit Free Press/AP
February 13, 2015 04:45 PM

James Robertson will no longer be a target in his own neighborhood.

After his story went viral, the Detroit area man who used to walk 21 miles to get to and from work each day received a new car and $350,000 in donations.

Unfortunately, his marathon-length walk and inability to afford a car weren’t his only problems: His neighborhood was dangerous. That never became more clear than when a man was charged last week in the killing of an 86-year-old man who disappeared in December following a $20,000 lottery win, the Detroit Free Press reports.

After meeting with Detroit police, crime-prevention specialists offered Robertson somewhere safer to live, police Capt. Aric Tosqui told the Free Press: “He expressed interest that he did not feel safe.”

Currently being put up in an empty apartment owned by a local businessman, Robertson is seeking long-term housing – most likely, closer to his job at Schain Mold & Engineering, where he earns just $10.55 an hour.

“Don’t get me wrong. It’ll be hard to leave the city that I love,” Robertson told the Free Press.

While Robertson has yet to receive the money raised via the GoFundMe page set up by Evan Leedy, 19, a student at Wayne State University, the two will be meeting with financial advisors within a week to discuss how best to manage the windfall Robertson has coming his way, according to the Free Press.

“He’s a diamond in the rough in terms of what happened to him,” Tosqui said.

You May Like

EDIT POST