There are a lot of Michael Myerses running around
Do you know anyone named Michael Myers? How about Freddy Krueger?
If not, you could soon. Directory service Whitepages recently compiled a list of real people who share names with iconic figures from the horror canon. (While they did not do a follow-up and ask those people how they felt about sharing their names, we can surmise “not good” is probably the answer for most of them.)
“Many people could say they’ve been scared by a number of the villains on this list, but until now have probably never thought that one could be living next door!” Whitepages culture and trend expert Liz Powell said in a statement about the findings.
Here’s the full 13-item (natch) list.
1. Michael Myers (Halloween): 4,282; 333 in Ohio.
2. Stephen King (author): 2,068; 168 in Texas.
3. Norman Bates (Psycho): 96; nine in Texas.
4. Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th): 30; four each in Pennsylvania, California and New York.
5. Annie Wilkes (Misery): 25; 10 in Georgia.
6. Jack Torrance (The Shining): 10; two in California.
7. Wes Craven (director): Seven; two in North Carolina.
8. Alfred Hitchcock (director): Seven; two each in Maryland and California.
9. Max Cady (Cape Fear): Six; three in Florida.
10. Freddy Krueger (A Nightmare on Elm Street): Five; two in Washington.
11. Donnie Darko (Donnie Darko): Four; three in Pennsylvania.
12. Samara Morgan (The Ring): Two; one each in Texas and North Dakota.
13. Damien Thorn (The Omen): One in California.
Powell helpfully adds, though, that “For fans of a ‘friendlier ghost’ neighbor, Whitepages data found 2,632 Caspers nationwide, the most living in North Dakota.”
There’s one other interesting outlier from the data: There are 510 people with the last name “Frankenstein” in the U.S., 92 of them in Pennsylvania. What’s up with that?