The Canadian robot was two weeks into its journey across the United States when it was damaged beyond repair

By Lindsay Kimble
Updated August 02, 2015 04:50 PM
Credit: Stephan Savoia/AP

Canada’s hitchhiking robot HitchBOT‘s first trip to the United States is already over just two weeks after it embarked from Salem, Massachusetts.

The robot was vandalized in Philadelphia on Saturday night, according to the HitchBOT website.

“Sometimes bad things happen to good robots,” wrote the site, adding, “We know that many of hitchBOT s fans will be disappointed, but we want them to be assured that this great experiment is not over. For now we will focus on the question ‘what can be learned from this?’ and explore future adventures for robots and humans.”

The robot’s co-creator, David Smith, told Canada’s CBC that the some of HitchBOT’s parts had been stripped out.

“The head, as far as we know, is missing,” Smith told CBC News.

HitchBOT was dropped off at a street corner by YouTube star Jesse Wellens before being destroyed. Followers went to the area to retrieve the robot’s remains and are working with Smith to have the parts sent back to Canada, the CBC reported.

Tragedy struck the galoshes-wearing bot before it could even come close to completing its journey to San Francisco.

Despite the untimely end, HitchBOT’s short trip to America included a visit to Boston’s Fenway Park and even a stopover in New York City.

“My trip must come to an end for now, but my love for humans will never fade. Thanks friends,” HitchBOT’s official Twitter account wrote on Saturday.

RELATED VIDEO: Watch This Man See New York for the First Time Through a Bionic Eye

Prior to coming to the U.S., HitchBOT completed a trek across Canada from Halifax to Victoria in 26 days last summer. It completed a similar trip in Germany earlier this year, as well as the Netherlands.

The bot had voice-recognition technology, 3G, Wi-Fi connectivity, and GPS. It could also ask drivers to plug it into their car’s cigarette lighter for a charge.