Heath Ledger's Final Days

Who he talked to, where he went and what he had planned before his tragic death

Photo: John Stanton/Getty Images

The day before he died, Heath Ledger had a quiet breakfast alone, then bought groceries and made plans for the following day, PEOPLE has learned.

Monday Morning

Ledger spent Monday morning having a light meal at Le Pain Quotidien near his apartment. “He wasn’t chatty – he looked like he wanted to be left alone,” an observer said, noting that Ledger spoke softly and ate a bowl of granola while listening to music on his iPod, with the volume loud.

Monday Afternoon

Later that day, the actor stocked up on groceries. A frequent patron to Gourmet Garage near his Broome Street apartment where he was found dead Tuesday, Ledger, 28, typically grabbed “a few items,” but around 6 p.m. Monday night he bought food that “looked like stuff he would prepare,” a grocery store employee tells PEOPLE.

“He had three bags of groceries, mainly produce like fruits and vegetables. I remember he had organic chicken sausages,” says catering sales manager Liz Bullis, 22. “He packed his own groceries. About half of our customers help out like that. He was always very friendly and pretty quiet.”

Monday Evening

That evening, Ledger’s director on the 2002 film The Four Feathers, Shekhar Kapur, arrived in New York and called his former star to meet.

“He said he could not see me that night but really wanted to meet me the next day,” Kapur, 62, said. “He made me promise that I would call him in the morning and wake him up. I tried.”

Tuesday, 12:30 p.m.

The last person to see Ledger alive was his housekeeper, Teresa Solomon, who arrived at the apartment around 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to police.

Solomon went to change a light bulb in a bathroom next to Ledger’s bedroom at 1 p.m., saw him on the bed and thought she heard him snoring, CNN and the Associated Press report.

It was 2:45 p.m. when masseuse Diana Wolozin arrived at the apartment and called his cell around 3 p.m. “She waited [outside his room] and tried calling him [on his cell phone] and he did not respond,” a police source tells PEOPLE. “She went into the room. She started setting up the massage table and he wasn t waking up – wasn t responding.”

Wolozin reportedly shook Ledger to rouse him and when he did not respond, she used the speed dial on Ledger’s phone to call Mary-Kate Olsen.

Tuesday, 3:17 p.m.

The masseuse called Olsen, 21, three times (first, at 3:17 p.m. for 49 seconds; a second time at 3:20 p.m. for 1 minute, 39 seconds; and a third time at 3:24 p.m. for 24 seconds).

Then Wolozin called 911, at 3:26 p.m., 45 minutes after arriving at the apartment, police sources tell the AP. Cops say Olsen, who was in California, then arranged for her security personnel to go to the apartment.

Emergency aid workers arrived at the apartment just as Olsen’s security people showed up (they took the elevator up together), but paramedics would not allow Olsen’s team into the bedroom.

Ledger was pronounced dead at 3:36 p.m. ET, 19 minutes after the first call to Olsen, AP reports.

Wolozin called Olsen a final time, at 3:34 p.m.

Supermodel Helena Christensen, 39, told Women’s Wear Daily that she was about to visit Ledger when she heard of his death. “I was on my way over to pay him a visit when I found out,” she said. “I had just left him a message and heard his voice on the machine.”


Click here for all the latest news updates on the Heath Ledger tragedy

Related Articles