Mark Hacking is in police custody; the body of Lori Hacking has not been recovered

By Stephen M. Silverman
Updated August 02, 2004 02:00 PM

Salt Lake City Police have arrested Mark Hacking in the disappearance and possible murder of his wife, Lori Hacking.

“I am confident that we have a good case here, and we will continue to gather evidence,” said Salt Lake City Chief of Police Rick Dinse at a press conference outside of police headquarters Monday afternoon.

As of the time of the conference, the body of Lori Hacking had not been recovered. Lori Hacking, 27, has been missing since July 19, when her husband told authorities that she failed to return from an early morning jog.

“He was arrested at approximately 11 a.m. this morning, in the hospital,” Dinse said, adding that Mark Hacking had been under suspicion from the first day of the investigation into his wife’s disappearance.

Dinse said Hacking would be charged with aggravated murder. Lori’s possible pregnancy was not a deciding factor in the charge.

It’s believed the homicide occurred in the couple’s apartment.

Over the weekend, Lori’s family announced in a written statement that new information provided by Mark Hacking made it “unnecessary for individuals or groups to continue the volunteer search” for her.

The family also asked that the media and the public respect the family’s privacy at this time.

According to detectives, Mark Hacking, 28, directed a relative to give police new details about his wife’s disappearance that has police turning again to a municipal landfill, according to reports.

Detective Dwayne Baird said only that the relatives had provided “additional substantive new information.”

Baird said police would renew a search at a municipal landfill. Cadaver dogs would not be available until Friday, however, when the all-night searching can begin, he said. It is unclear why a search cannot begin sooner, or why dogs cannot be brought in from elsewhere.

Mark Hacking’s parents, Douglas and Janet Hacking, refused to comment Sunday, as did his lawyer.

Police Chief Dinse expressed his concern that Lori’s final resting place is allegedly a landfill.