October 05, 2004 08:45 AM

A gunman opened fire on the Las Vegas home of Siegfried Fischbacher and Roy Horn on Sept. 21, shouting that the entertainers should get out of the country, police in the gaming capital said on Monday.

Authorities initially labeled the drive-by shooting as a hate crime but later said a patrol officer had misclassified the case.

According to a police report obtained by the Associated Press, a gardener who witnessed the incident said he saw the gunman driving the van as it cruised twice past the compound about 6:15 p.m. on Sept. 21.

Police spokesman Jose Montoya said shotgun pellets smashed two windows and left a 12-in. hole in the house. He did not know whether Fischbacher and Horn were home at the time. No injuries were reported.

A spokesman for the entertainers declined comment, calling the case a police matter.

Montoya did not identify the suspect but said police traced the registration of the van and a warrant had been issued.

Police announced the shooting on Monday, a day after Horn had an at-home celebration with friends to mark his 60th birthday. Sunday was also the one-year anniversary of his near-fatal tiger encounter that left him partially paralyzed and shuttered for good the long-running Siegfried & Roy show.

You May Like

EDIT POST