The rocker says his recent troubles have become "this massive drama"

By Stephen M. Silverman
Updated April 21, 2006 12:40 PM
Advertisement

George Michael announced his first tour in 15 years on Friday – and dismissed recent media attention over a drug arrest and a car mishap as an over-reaction.

“It was nothing really, but again it becomes this massive drama,” Michael, 42, says in an interview with the Parkinson show to air on British TV this weekend.

The rocker, who will start a European tour on Sept. 27 in Madrid, Spain, was discovered slumped at the wheel of his car at Hyde Park Corner in central London in February. He was arrested and issued a formal warning for possessing marijuana.

Last Sunday, Michael was in an automotive scrap again, when he damaged three parked cars while driving near his home in north London.

Calling himself a “terrible driver,” he admits that he hit the car in front of him – pushing it into two cars ahead – while trying to squeeze out of a parking space on a steep hill, but denies reports that he had driven off without contacting the owners of the other cars.

“I had people calling me, frantically trying to find out if I was in hospital or not,” he says. “I literally had a parking accident.”

He also cites a comment made about him by Elton John – who referred to a “deep-rooted unhappiness” in Michael’s life – that has made him “really vulnerable to the press.”

“Unfortunately, every artist nowadays has a soap opera, and it’s decided where they’re going to be in that,” says Michael. “The trajectory of my particular soap opera launched from that statement Elton made about 18 months ago when he hadn’t seen me for years.”

As for the tour, this is Michael’s first time hitting the road since 1991. So far, no U.S. dates have been set.