By Stephen M. Silverman
Updated August 21, 2001 03:24 PM

CANCELLED: The rock band Foo Fighters have pulled the plug on their current European tour after drummer Taylor Hawkins, a victim of “overindulgence,” was admitted to a British hospital, according to a statement released by the group. He is reported to be in stable condition. Foo Fighters was started by Dave Grohl, who was the drummer in Nirvana before singer Kurt Cobain killed himself in 1994 . . . DIED: Bob Hewson, father of U2 lead singer Bono, has died after a battle with cancer, a spokeswoman for the Irish supergroup said Tuesday. Hewson was 75. With U2 currently on tour, Bono, 40, had been flying to Dublin after every performance to be with his ailing father, who was a retired postal worker. Noted actress Kim Stanley, 76, who in 1955 created the leading Broadway role in “Bus Stop” (later played on screen by Marilyn Monroe), has also passed away. Her death came in a Santa Fe, N.M., hospital on Monday of an undisclosed lengthy illness, her daughter told The New York Times. Stanley’s Oscar nominations included one for 1982’s “Frances,” in which she played the mother of troubled actress Frances Farmer (who was played by Jessica Lange) . . . SUSPENDED: Peter Bart, the editor of the Hollywood trade paper Variety since 1989, is on leave following the revelation of derogatory comments he allegedly made regarding homosexuals as well as for conflict-of-interest allegations that he tried to sell screenplays while he was editor of the paper (in violation of his publication’s editorial guidelines prohibiting employees from profiting from companies covered by the paper). Bart, 69, has denied the allegations and the accuracy of the quotes in the article, which appear in the September issue of Los Angeles magazine. L.A. magazine stands by its article . . . RECUPERATED: Broadcaster Paul Harvey, 82, returned to the airwaves on Monday, sounding a bit hoarse but telling his 24 million listeners that it “feels so good to be back.” Harvey had been M.I.A. from his 15-minute daily radio shows since mid-May while recovering from what he believed at first was a severe case of laryngitis. Doctors later diagnosed a virus that had settled in one of his vocal chords.