Police suspect that a gas-powered generator the family was using is behind the tragic deaths

By Tara Fowler
April 07, 2015 08:10 AM

A father and his seven children were found dead inside their home in Princess Anne, Maryland, from carbon monoxide poisoning on Monday.

Police suspect that a gas-powered generator the family was using is behind the tragic deaths, NBC News reports.

Rodney Todd Sr., 36, had reportedly purchased the generator after the family’s electricity was cut off because they couldn’t pay the bill.

“To keep his seven children warm, he bought a generator,” Todd’s stepfather Lloyd Edwards told the Associated Press. “It went out and the carbon monoxide consumed them.”

The family was found after Todd didn’t show up for work at the University of Maryland on Saturday.

His mother, Bonnie Edwards, described her son as an amazing father. “I don’t know anyone his age who would have done what he did [for his children],” she said. “I was so proud to say he took care of seven kids.”

Delmarva Power would not comment on whether the power had been shut off. But family friend Stephanie Wells blames the utility firm for not offering the father of seven help.

“I just feel that the system failed him,” Wells told NBC. “They didn’t reach out to help him with his utility bills.”

The children’s mother Tyisha Chambers, 36, was not in the home at the time. She has been notified of their deaths, police say.

Advertisement