By Stephen M. Silverman
Updated May 29, 1998 12:00 AM
Advertisement

On Monday, a judge in Indio, Calif., granted lawyers for troubled actor Robert Downey Jr.., 35, a delay of three weeks — until Feb. 21 — in his trial for felony drug possession, reports Reuters. The attorneys’ request was submitted to Superior Court Judge B.J. Bjork so that the defense can test the evidence allegedly found in the Golden Globe-winning actor’s possession when police arrested him Nov. 25 in his Palm Springs hotel room. They wish to see if it is cocaine, as police claimed. Judge Bjork told lawyers that he hoped that a plea agreement could be arranged before this new court date. Outside the court, Downey’s lawyers told reporters that they were attempting to reach such a plea bargain. Downey’s arrest came just three months after he had been released from a California state prison on a previous drug conviction. In addition, the “Ally McBeal” costar has been recently sued for divorce from his estranged wife, Deborah Falconer, from whom he has been separated since 1996. She is seeking custody of their son, Indio, who is seven.