Temporary barriers were also installed on the beaches, Disney said in a statement

By Steve Helling Lindsay Kimble
June 23, 2016 03:00 PM

The beaches at Walt Disney World’s resorts have been reopened following last week’s alligator attack that left 2-year-old Lane Graves dead.

“Resort beaches are now available to guests one hour after sunrise until one hour prior to sunset,” Disney said in a statement to WKMG-TV. “These areas now include signage and temporary barriers to further promote safety at our resort and we continue to work on permanent, long-term solutions. Cast Members will staff the beaches to assist guests.”

Resorts with marinas are also now offering boat rentals for guests again, WKMG-TV reported.

Disney did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.

“We’re being told that it’s our job to make sure that no one goes into the lakes, no matter what our job description is,” a source who works for Disney tells PEOPLE.

The beaches were closed after Graves’ was snatched by an alligator while he waded in shallow water at the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. The animal believed to be responsible for the boy’s death has since been “removed” from Disney’s Seven Seas Lagoon and euthanized, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission confirmed to PEOPLE on Wednesday.

Devan Lesley

The beaches’ reopening closely follows the FWC’s revelation that 244 gators were caught on Walt Disney World property between May 22, 2006 and May 14, 2016. In addition, six alligators were caught by trappers after Graves’ June 14 death.

Advertisement


EDIT POST