Denise Richards in Bizarre Movie Set Incident

A senior citizen is injured after the actress tosses a photog's laptops off a balcony, authorities tell PEOPLE

Denise Richards was involved in a bizarre incident with paparazzi Wednesday on the Canadian set of her new movie Blonde and Blonder, where laptop computers were hurled and a senior citizen slightly injured, a spokesman for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police tells PEOPLE.

The Mounties were summoned to the movie location at the River Rock Casino Resort in Richmond, British Columbia, a suburb of Vancouver, after Richards took issue with the presence of two photographers on the set, said Cpl. Peter Thiessen, a media relations officer for the Richmond Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The actress approached the photographers and threw their laptops off the balcony of the hotel, said Thiessen, adding that a computer “struck an 80-year-old woman in a wheelchair. It struck her in the arm. She was not interested in pursuing criminal charges and suffered only minor injuries.”

Police interviewed both Richards and her costar, Pamela Anderson, about the incident, and the movie production company agreed to pay for the damages to the photographers’ computers, according to Thiessen.

The movie production company issued a statement about the incident on Thursday: “Yesterday evening, while filming a scene for Blonde and Blonder, a number of unauthorized persons entered the film set and began harrassing members of the cast. While trying to stop the paparazzi, Denise Richards was involved in an altercation. To protect her safety she instinctively knocked the paparazzo’s laptops off a ledge. Royal Canadian Mounted Police were called to the scene as a precaution and the case was soon closed. No charges were filed against Ms. Richards.”

And a rep for Richards told PEOPLE, “Based on the actions of the paparazzi, they are lucky their laptops are the only things that were tossed over the balcony.”

Howard Blank, a representative of the Blonde and Blonder production, said, the events were “getting blown way out of proportion,” adding, “as a precaution first aid was called. An ambulance was called, which is also routine. No one was transferred to the hospital at all. Everything is fine.”

Richards and cast members were “very upset” about the incident, Blank said, and after filming was halted for an hour it then resumed and continued until 8 in the evening.

Related Articles