Happy 25th Birthday, Daniel Radcliffe: 25 Things the Actor Doesn't Have in Common with Harry Potter
Radcliffe played Potter for more than half his life, but that doesn't mean they're the same person
For nearly half his life, Daniel Radcliffe was Harry Potter. But he’s a grown-up actor now, with starring roles on Broadway and in indie films like Kill Your Darlings. Yes, the role of Potter will likely dog him all his life, but there’s a lot more to the actor – who turned 25 years old on Wednesday – than those famous round glasses.
To prove it, here are 25 things that make Radcliffe quite different from the character he played over the course of 10 years.
1. Daniel Radcliffe was born on July 23, 1989. Harry Potter was born on July 31, 1980, a fact the books occasionally forgot and the film series dispensed with entirely.
2. Harry Potter is an orphan. Daniel Radcliffe’s parents have not yet been murdered by an evil wizard bent on world domination.
(Credit: Tumblr user Mooaar GIFs)
3. Daniel Radcliffe’s eyes are blue. Harry Potter’s eyes are green.
4. Harry Potter met his wife in high school. Daniel Radcliffe met his current girlfriend, Erin Darke, on the set of Kill Your Darlings.
5. Daniel Radcliffe has an apartment in New York. In the Harry Potter series, Potter never even visits America.
6. Harry Potter’s biggest school rival is Draco Malfoy. Daniel Radcliffe has never tried to kill fellow actor Tom Felton (to our knowledge).
7. Harry Potter has a very famous scar on his forehead. The skin on Daniel Radcliffe’s forehead is flawless.
8. Harry Potter is described as tall for his age. Daniel Radcliffe is 5-foot-5, slightly shorter than average.
9. Daniel Radcliffe is an atheist with Jewish heritage. Though Harry Potter abides by certain Christian cultural traditions like Christmas, it’s likely that the widespread use of magic makes wizarding theology somewhat different from other religions.
10. Harry Potter indulges in butterbeer from time to time. Daniel Radcliffe gave up drinking in 2010, after reportedly filming many of his final Potter scenes drunk.
11. Daniel Radcliffe had a crush on Emma Watson when he was 11. Harry Potter never had any romantic feelings towards Hermione Granger. In book canon at least. (That’s what fanfic is for.)
(Credit: Tumblr user Multitude of GIFs)
12. Daniel Radcliffe is a supporter of Labour, the minority party in the United Kingdom. In the wizarding world, Harry Potter likely supports the majority government of Minister of Magic Kingsley Shacklebolt.
13. Harry Potter is still best friends with Ron Weasley years after the two have graduated from Hogwarts. Daniel Radcliffe has more of an “old coworkers” relationship with Rupert Grint, only hanging out with him when they bump into each other at parties for former child actors who are now millionaires.
14. Harry Potter was born in the West Country and grew up in Surrey. Daniel Radcliffe grew up in West London. In Britain, these are three very different places.
15. Harry Potter needs glasses. Daniel Radcliffe has great vision (though he does experience great discomfort wearing contacts).
16. Harry Potter’s first kiss was with fellow student Cho Chang. Radcliffe’s first (onscreen) kiss was with Australian actress Teresa Palmer, whom he smooched in December Boys.
(Credit: Tumblr database)
17. Daniel Radcliffe was not forced to live in a cupboard under the stairs. Harry Potter was.
18. Daniel Radcliffe has been nominated for a Grammy. Harry Potter has never even recorded an album.
19. Harry Potter is into one fantasy sport – Quidditch. Daniel Radcliffe is into fantasy sports, particularly fantasy football.
20. Harry Potter has used the Unforgivable Cruciatus Curse. Daniel Radcliffe, to the best of our knowledge, has not.
21. Daniel Radcliffe smokes. Harry Potter never touches cigarettes.
22. Harry Potter can speak Parseltongue. Daniel Radcliffe speaks Spanish.
23. Harry Potter has a secret fortune of gold in Gringott’s goblin bank. Daniel Radcliffe’s fortune is much more famous, and is presumably held in a normal human bank.
24. Daniel Radcliffe once harbored ambitions of becoming a professional cricket player. Harry Potter did not, as the sport is looked down upon in the wizarding world.
25. Harry Potter was in Gryffindor. Daniel Radcliffe is a total Ravenclaw.