Celebrity Daisy Ridley Deletes Instagram Account Following Harassment Over Anti-Gun Violence Post "I just want to be on my phone less!" the Star Wars actress later explained By Stephanie Petit Stephanie Petit Stephanie Petit is a Royals Writer/Reporter at PEOPLE. She has been with the brand since 2016 after graduating from The College of New Jersey and holding previous positions at Seventeen, CBS Radio and more. Follow the proud dog mom on Twitter at @stephpetit_ for the latest on Queen Elizabeth's corgis. People Editorial Guidelines Published on August 4, 2016 08:00 AM Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Daisy Ridley is taking a break from social media following backlash over an anti-gun violence post. On Monday, the Star Wars star shared a photo of herself on Instagram and Facebook and spoke about how moved she was by the Teen Choice Awards tribute to victims of gun violence, in which young relatives of victims killed in the Orlando, San Bernardino and Newtown shootings took the stage. “As I sat in the audience yesterday tears were streaming down my face at the tribute to those that have been lost to gun violence,” the 24-year-old actress said, according to BBC. “I didn’t get a great picture of the incredible group that came on stage but they were so brave. It was a true moment of togetherness. We must #stoptheviolence.” While many commenters supported Ridley’s statements, others attacked her for speaking against gun ownership and accused her of hypocrisy due to the violence in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. She quickly deleted the photo from Instagram and corresponding Facebook post, then later disabled her account. Ridley reportedly briefly reactivated her Instagram account to share a message about her exit with fans. “I just want to be on my phone less!” she explained, according to The Nerdy Bird. “Trying to be more present and all that and got a busy few months ahead so wanted less distractions… It’s all good! ? I always appreciate the support and love the Instagram community! X.” Related Video: VIDEO: You Won’t Believe How Force Awakens Stars Oscar Isaac and Daisy Ridley Loosen up on Set Ghostbusters actress Leslie Jones recently returned to Twitter after a short hiatus sparked by a series of racist tweets directed at her last month. The comedian, 48, called out some of her harassers in a series of tweets, writing that the comments had left her with “”tears and a very sad heart.” Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey personally reached out to Jones following the incident and later admitted that the social media platform needs to do a better job of cracking down on abusive trolls. “No one deserves to be the target of abuse on Twitter,” he said, according to Variety. “We haven’t been good enough at ensuring that’s the case, and we need to do better.” Last week, Instagram took steps in that direction by introducing a new feature that allows users to filter or entirely turn off the comments underneath their photos.