Cook Up The Lion's Special Blend Burger
The rich burger, complete with fried pork belly, two cheeses and special sauce is a crowd (and celeb) pleaser
Here’s one burger not for the faint of heart.
Chef John DeLucie has created a signature dish – considered one of N.Y.C.’s most "over-the-top" burgers – for N.Y.C.’s The Lion.
The hot spot has all-star patrons including Cameron Diaz, Sienna Miller, Leonardo DiCaprio, and newly single exes, Katy Perry and John Mayer. But if you don’t live in The City That Never Sleeps, you can now cook up a version of the 7 oz. treat at home. Just don’t expect DeLucie to give up all his secrets: The special sauce will have to be your own creation. All he’ll tell PEOPLE is it’s “sweet, tangy, slightly salty and utterly satisfying.”
The Lion’s Special Blend Burger
• Aged chuck meat
• Aged short rib
• Cheese: sliced provolone and smoked cheddar
• Pork belly
• Tomato confit
• Caramelized onions
• Baby romaine lettuce
• Potato buns (the restaurant uses Martins)
• Blend of 80 percent aged chuck meat and 20 percent aged short rib
• Create patties for grilling
• After meat is grilled, top each burger with one slice of provolone and one slice smoked cheddar
• Then top with a slice of fried pork belly, a slice of confit tomato, caramelized onions and two pieces of baby romaine lettuce
• Serve on a toasted potato bun
In addition to the “special sauce,” the dish is served at the restaurant with homemade pickle relish and a small jar of homemade pickles on the side.