The singer made her return to the stage Thursday while her husband, René Angélil, continues his battle with throat cancer
Céline Dion returned to the Las Vegas stage Thursday for the first time since last August as her husband, René Angélil, continues his fight against throat cancer.
Before hitting the stage of her long-running show at Caesars Palace, the “My Heart Will Go On” singer held a press conference that touched on her husband’s health and her new take on the lyrics of her heartfelt songs.
“The meaning of the songs have a new meaning now,” Dion, 47, said. “I sung them, but now I mean it. To me they’ll be different songs. To you, maybe not.”
Angélil, 73, who was previously diagnosed with throat cancer in 1999, has battled cancer three times.
“I am scared of losing him, because it’s bad,” Dion told PEOPLE in March. “But I have to show myself, my husband and my kids that I’m strong and we’re okay.”
The singer, who has been performing in Vegas since 2011, took a year-long break to focus on caring for her husband.
“I didn’t want to be here at first, I don’t need it. Don’t get me wrong, I love singing for people, but I have priorities,” Dion told USA TODAY Sunday. “But my biggest job is to tell my husband, we’re fine. I’ll take care of our kids. You’ll watch us from another spot.”
Dion added, “I’ll say, ‘You’re scared? I understand. Talk to me about it’ … And René says to me, ‘I want to die in your arms.’ Okay, fine, I’ll be there, you’ll die in my arms.”
During Thursday’s press conference, Dion told the reporters, “My three children and my husband wanted me to be here tonight.”
Before wrapping up, the singer addressed Angélil – who was reportedly set to watch her show live via video at their Vegas home – and said, “Just enjoy, just enjoy. I love you.”
• Reporting by MARK GRAY