Chris Rock: Everybody's Back
It was the best of both worlds when the CW announced its fall lineup at the Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York City on Thursday.
The net, formed by a merger of UPN and the WB, revealed that many fan favorites had made the cut – including Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, Smallville, Everybody Hates Chris and 7th Heaven, which had been cancelled by the WB.
• The Black Eyed Peas kicked things off on Thursday morning, performing a modified version of their hit “Let’s Get It Started” – a rallying cry for the brand-new network.
• Just 10 days after its series finale on the WB, 7th Heaven is getting a new lease on life: The CW is bringing back the stalwart family drama, the longest running in TV history, for its 11th season.
• Gilmore Girls star Alexis Bledel and Veronica Mars’s Kristen Bell took the stage and compared their series, which will share Tuesday nights. Both are set in small towns, they noted, and Bell pointed out, “We both date hot guys named Logan.” Replied Bledel, “But my Logan is hotter!”
• America’s Next Top Model host Tyra Banks walked onstage and slipped on her heel, but quickly caught herself. “I tell the girls to do as I say, not as I do,” she quipped, adding, “I almost slipped and busted my butt!” Banks was followed onstage by ANTM’s Cycle 2 winner, Yoanna House, who also almost slipped in the same spot.
• Flanked by castmates Sophia Bush, Hilarie Burton and James Lafferty, newly engaged One Tree Hill star Chad Michael Murray told the audience, “We are honored to be on the CW and we want to thank our fans, who have been wonderful – they’ve done everything for us.” Ex-spouses Murray and Bush stood well apart from each other.
• The crowd cheered for Supernatural stars Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, who appeared alongside Smallville’s teen Superman, Tom Welling. Ackles couldn’t help but tease Welling: “I think you look amazing in tights,” he joked. “Tommy Tights is all I’m saying.”
• Everybody Hates Chris creator Chris Rock yelled at the audience of advertisers, “Spend some money on the new CW! We are not going to change our name ever again! We do have a slogan, too. It’s ‘We Aren’t Bulls–. That’s right. We’ve got good shows!” Rock then joked, “This season, Chris is now going to be played by a white girl. As a matter of fact, you are going to see more white people on the CW than ever. Sometimes they are going to just walk by.”