Chris Brown Withdraws from Kids' Choice Consideration
The R&B star thanks fans for their support and for nominating him
One choice the fans won’t have at the Kids’ Choice Awards on March 28? Voting for Chris Brown.
Amid the controversy about Brown’s nominations at the fun-loving show – the R&B singer who has been charged with assault and making criminal threats against his girlfriend Rihanna – has decided to withdraw his name from consideration, his spokesperson announced Wednesday.
“Chris very much appreciates the support of his fans and the honor they have paid him in the way of nominations for Favorite Male Singer and Favorite Song,” says the statement. “Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding the incident last month has shifted the focus from the music to whether he should be allowed to be among those nominated. While Chris would like to speak to his fans directly about this and other issues, pending legal proceedings preclude his doing so at this time. Once the matter before him has been resolved, he intends to do so.”
As of Tuesday, an online petition had received more than 5,200 signatures from fans asking that both Brown and Rihanna be removed from the list of nominations.
On Tuesday, Nickelodeon issued a statement saying Brown would remain on the ballot in his categories. But after he withdrew his name from consideration on Wednesday, the channel said they “respect” his decision.
“We are confirming that Chris Brown has decided to withdraw his nominations from the Kids’ Choice Awards,” says the statement. “We agree with and respect his decision, and are looking forward to presenting a great event for our audience.”
The Kids’ Choice Awards will air on Nickelodon on March 28.
• 2007: Study finds 1 in 11 high school girls experienced domestic violence
• 1994: Axl Rose’s ex claims the rocker beat her
• Revisit Rihanna & Chris’s island getaway