Charges Dropped Against Duke Lacrosse Players
Three teammates had been charged with kidnapping and sexual offense
Prosecutors in North Carolina announced Wednesday they have dropped the remaining charges against three Duke lacrosse players accused of sexually assaulting a woman last year.
North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper said at a press conference: ”
The accuser, a 28-year-old student at North Carolina Central University, had told police she was attacked by the men in a bathroom at a March 13 Duke lacrosse team party where she was hired to perform as a stripper.
Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and team captain David Evans were later indicted on charges of first-degree forcible rape, sexual offense and kidnapping.
But the case rapidly fell apart, and prosecutors dropped the rape charges in December after no DNA evidence was found linking any of the men to the accuser.
Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong, who had been the driving force in the investigation, was recused in January and Attorney General Cooper took over the case.
Nifong has been accused by the state bar of ethics violations in connection his handling of the case, the Associated Press reports. He faces trial in June on charges of making misleading and inflammatory comments, withholding evidence from defense attorneys and lying to the court and bar investigators.