By Stephen M. Silverman
Updated December 04, 2003 01:00 PM
Advertisement

The prosecution’s case against Michael Jackson is not a done deal — and formal charges still have not been filed two weeks after the star was booked on child-molestation charges, The New York Times reports.

According to the paper, Santa Barbara County District Attorney Thomas W. Sneddon Jr. — who made a show of announcing his arrest warrant for Jackson — has twice delayed filing formal charges against the musician, who remains free on $3 million bond.

The general consensus among legal experts speaking to The Times is that such postponements do not bode well for the prosecution’s case. Additionally, a hotline set up to take anonymous phone tips about any possible misconduct by Jackson has provided little, said spokesman Sgt. Chris Pappas.

“At this point in time,” Pappas said, “none have clearly identified new cases for independent investigation.”

An attorney for Jackson has gone so far as to say that Sneddon’s case may be so weak that the D.A. may be forced to drop it. Jackson, 45, speaking through his legal representatives, has labeled the molestation charges “a big lie.”

In a CNN interview last week, Sneddon acknowledged that it was wrong to make light of the situation when he announced the arrest warrant for Jackson, but he insisted that the case is strong.

As things stand, Jackson is still due to appear in court in January to face whatever charges are filed against him.