It is unclear if Caleb Schwab, the son of Rep, Scott Schwab, fell from the 168-foot slide
Credit: David Strickland/AP

The 10-year-old son of a Kansas lawmaker has died on the world’s tallest water slide on Sunday.

Caleb Schwab, the 10-year-old son of Rep. Scott Schwab, died while on the 168-foot-tall Verrückt water slide at Kansas City’s Schlitterbahn water park and resort during an event for elected officials, CNN reports.

“Since the day he was born, he brought abundant joy to our family and all those who he came into contact with,” the family said in a statement.

“As we try to mend our home with him no longer with us, we are comforted knowing he believed in his Savior, Jesus, and they are forever together now. We will see him another day.”

Police released a statement late Monday confirming that Caleb died of a fatal “neck injury.” There were two women in the boat with him at the time, neither related to Caleb. They suffered minor facial injuries and were treated at local hospitals.

Many took to social media to send condolences the family’s way, including Schwab’s fellow state politicians.

“Our prayers are with the family of Rep. Scot Schwab today with the tragic and sudden loss of their young son,” Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback tweeted.

Rep. Kevin Yoder wrote on Twitter: “Today my good friends Scott and Michele Schwab lost their son Caleb in a tragic accident at Schlitterbahn Kansas City Waterpark.”

Park-Goer Rides Verrückt at Schlitterbahn Kansas City Waterpark

The Verrückt (German for “crazy” or “insane”) was named the world’s tallest water slide by Guinness World Records in 2014. Riders, required to be at least 54 inches tall go down the slide in multi-person rafts that hold up to 550 pounds, according to the Star.

Riders climb 264 stairs to the top – there are call boxes along the way for emergencies – and the rafts hit speeds of up to 70 mph, the newspaper reports.

8-Year-Old Found Unresponsive at Amusement Park Dies

Another state politician told reporters that her daughter rode on the slide just hours before the boy’s death and “didn’t experience any difficulties.”

The park was closed on Monday, pending investigation.