Aruba officials pick up two men who had previously been released in the case of the missing girl

By Todd Peterson
August 26, 2005 04:00 PM

Satish and Deepak Kalpoe, two Surinamese brothers who had previously been arrested in connection with the disappearance of 18-year-old Natalee Holloway, were taken back into custody in Aruba on Friday, the Associated Press reports.

According to a statement issued by the prosecutor’s office, “new facts and circumstances” in the case led to the brothers’ new arrest. The two were detained along with another unnamed man. Satish, 18, and Deepak, 21, were detained on “suspicion of involvement in premeditated murder and rape,” AP reports.

The two were originally arrested in conjunction with the case on June 9, but were released in July after a judge determined there was not enough evidence to hold them. A lawyer for one of the brothers said that his client had not been presented with any new evidence as to the nature of his arrest.

Holloway’s family was happy with the announcement. “We’ve known all along they had something to do with Natalee’s disappearance,” her stepmother, Robin Holloway, said.

Natalee disappeared May 30 on the final night of a class trip. She was seen leaving a local bar with Joran van der Sloot, 18, who is being held in connection with her disappearance, and with the Kalpoe brothers. Despite extensive searches no evidence of Holloway has been found.

Advertisement