Federline Works the Crowd
• 12 a.m. ET: “Hey, I see a lot of fine ladies in here,” the rapper tells the crowd at his House of Blues performance in Chicago on Wednesday night. “You know I’m a free man, right, ladies? You wanna dance with a pimp?” Playing the role of a rap Casanova, Federline touched the hands of women who were reaching onstage at the free, standing-room-only show. Around his fourth or fifth song, he made his only reference of the night to his breakup with Britney Spears, and later added, “That’s a sexy-ass lady right there,” pointing into the crowd.
Kevin’s Album: Not on Fire
• 3:20 p.m. ET: Federline’s debut album, Playing with Fire, tanks in record stores. The CD has sold approximately 6,000 copies since its release on Oct. 31, and will debut at No. 151 on The Billboard 200.
Britney’s Ex-Father-in-Law: ‘Not At All Surprised’
• 3 p.m. ET: Dennis Alexander, the father of Britney’s first husband Jason Alexander, tells PEOPLE he’s “not at all surprised” that Spears filed for divorce. “Not a shock. Does anything last in Hollywood?” he says.
“She would totally have had a better chance at it working out if she’d have stayed with Jason,” Alexander, 50, who owns a local automotive repair shop in Britney’s hometown of Kentwood, La., said Tuesday. “He would have taken care of her and protected her homestead back here in Kentwood. He wouldn’t have been interested in personal glory or fame or needing to be ‘Mr. Macho-Top-of-the-World Man.’ Jason has a heart of gold. Britney knows it. They’re from the same background.
“It’s a small town here, and everyone knows everyone,” he added. “We talk about things. I think pretty much everyone around here thinks it would have been better for her to stay with Jason. They totally would have had a better chance.”
Alexander says his son (to whom Britney was married for 55 hours in 2004) is now in Los Angeles. As for whether his son still has feelings for Britney, Alexander says: “He and Britney are childhood friends. He will always care for her.”
One in Chicago, The Other in New York
• 12:30 p.m. ET: Spears remains in New York City on Wednesday after a night out shopping at the Gap, ice-skating at Rockefeller Center and dining out with pals in midtown.
• 12:45 p.m. ET: Meanwhile, Federline is in Chicago where he is due to perform at the House of Blues tonight. The Chicago Tribune reports that ticket sales for the concert have been so sluggish that the venue is giving them away (with the exception of a $2.25 convenience charge). No word on whether sales have picked up since news of the couple’s split.