Pat Houston Reveals Bobbi Kristina Brown Was Headed for Rehab Before Her Accident But 'She Never Made It'

"I didn't know about the coke or the heroin but when I did find out, you know, I addressed it immediately but unfortunately she never made it," Houston told PEOPLE in the summer.

Photo: Getty

Bobbi Kristina Brown died on July 26, six months after she was found unresponsive in a bathtub at her home.

But before her accident in January, the only child of Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown was headed to rehab, according to her aunt Pat Houston.

“I decided she was going to rehab because that’s where we had called to set up for her to go,” Houston told PEOPLE.

“She didn’t make it. She found out that I was coming for her, not to do an intervention, because I didn’t want to go through that with her,” she explained. “I just wanted her to come back and talk to me so we could figure out how this was going to take place because she needed to go.”

It was only a couple days before her accident that Houston would talk to her niece for the last time.

“She was adamant with everyone else that she didn’t want to go, but she didn’t tell me that. She just texted me: ‘I’m coming Auntie Pat, to talk, I love you,’ ” Houston recalled. “That was the last that I heard from her and that I believe was either on a Wednesday or a Thursday.”

Later that week, the 21-year-old was found face-down in the bathtub by her partner, Nick Gordon, in the bathroom of their home in Roswell, Georgia.

“It was that Saturday –Saturday morning– I got the call and was told to go to the hospital,” Houston said. “I can’t even begin to tell you how I was feeling and what I was feeling and still feeling. I didn’t know, I didn’t know about the hard drugs, the cocaine.”

Brown was under the influence of drugs the morning she was found unresponsive in her bathtub, a source familiar with the details of the situation told PEOPLE in February.

“I didn’t know about the coke or the heroin but when I did find out, you know, I addressed it immediately. But, unfortunately, she never made it.”

Bobbi Kristina never fully regained consciousness and was being kept on life support following her near-drowning. In March, she was moved to a long-term care facility in the Atlanta area.

In June, she was transferred to a hospice after her condition “continued to deteriorate,” Pat said in a statement on behalf of the Houston family at the time.

Reporting by LIZ MCNEIL

Related Articles