Bobbi Kristina Brown Undergoes Tracheotomy, Condition 'Still Critical'
After nearly two weeks with little change in her condition, doctors performed a tracheotomy on Bobbi Kristina Brown this week to rearrange her breathing tube in what a family source calls a “normal procedure.”
“The tracheotomy is a different place for the tube to go,” the family source tells PEOPLE. “Everything else remains the same. It’s a waiting game. The family is hoping and waiting.”
The source says the procedure does not indicate a change in status.
“It’s a normal procedure to have the tracheotomy because if you have a breathing tube down there for a long time, it can cause an infection,” said the source.
“She is still critical and we don’t know what the outcome will be,” the source added. “No one is giving up on this kid.”
Brown, 21, has been hospitalized since she was found unresponsive in her bathtub on Jan. 31. This past weekend, a source told PEOPLE her condition remains grim as family including father Bobby Brown and grandmother Cissy Houston keep a bedside vigil.
A second family source also confirmed to PEOPLE Thursday that Bobbi Kristina’s condition “hasn’t changed” – although the procedure has made an impact on her loved ones.
“There’s a medical reason behind [the tracheotomy], but it’s making things clear to everyone how serious this is,” says the source. “Even if she wakes up, there’s a possibility that this could do some damage to her vocal cords, I hear.”
“This is happening because there are no other options,” the source added. “If there was another way, Bobby would do it.”
RadarOnline.com was the first to report the tracheotomy news.
• Reporting by LIZ MCNEIL and STEVE HELLING
More on Bobbi Kristina Brown:
• Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Family Holds Vigil, Asks for Continued Prayer
• Bobbi Kristina’s Cousin: We’re Still Praying, ‘Though Doctors Don’t See Any Hope for Change’
• Family Gathering to Say Goodbye to Bobbi Kristina Brown
• Max Lomas, Who Initially Found Bobbi Kristina Brown Unresponsive, Just ‘Wants His Good Friend Back’
• Houston Family Had Restraining Order Against Bobbi Kristina’s ‘Husband’ Nick Gordon
• Bobbi Kristina and ‘Husband’ Nick Gordon Were Never Married
• Bobby Brown’s Bedside Song to Daughter Bobbi Kristina: ‘The Greatest Love of All’
• Were Drugs Involved with Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Near-Drowning?
• Kevin Costner on Bobbi Kristina Brown: ‘I Can’t Imagine’ What Her Family Is Going Through
• Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Family Keeping Hospital Bedside Vigil
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Is ‘Fighting For Her Life,’ Family Says
• For Bobbi Kristina Brown, Minutes Without Air ‘Could Be Grim’
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Is Still Unresponsive, According to Source
• Do Bobbi Kristina Browns’s Social Media Accounts Hold Clues About Why She Was Found Unresponsive?
• Bobbi Kristina Brown: Inside the Troubled Life of Whitney Houston’s Daughter
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Hospitalized After Being Found Unresponsive in Tub
• Stars Rally Around Bobbi Kristina Brown
• Bobbi Kristina’s Husband Is Not the Bad Guy, Says Source
• Bobby Brown ‘Inconsolable’ Over Bobbi Kristina’s Hospitalization
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Recovery Would Be a Miracle, Says Source