The Associated Press has released an interview with Bill Cosby in which he refused to address past allegations of sexual assault.
The Nov. 6 taped interview with Cosby and his wife, Camille – which was originally scheduled to address how the couple lent their own art to a Smithsonian exhibit – occurred before additional women came forward with claims that he drugged and raped them in the ’80s. But it happened after comedian Hannibal Burress said Cosby was a rapist during his standup act, so the AP reporter asked the 77-year-old comedian to comment.
“No, no, we don’t answer that,” said Cosby (watch the clip below, from TIME). “There s no response. There is no comment about that. I think you were told. I don t want to compromise your integrity, but I don’t talk about it.”
At the end of the interview, Cosby then made an attempt to kill his on-camera denial – even though he didn’t actually address the allegations.
“Can I get something from you, that none of that will be shown?” Cosby asks the reporter. “I would appreciate it if it was scuttled I think that if you want to consider yourself serious, that it will not appear anywhere.”
Two weeks after that interview, Cosby flat-out stopped speaking when an NPR reporter asked him to address the allegations.
Since then, Cosby has remained mum about the now seven women who have come forward to demand that the comedian and actor acknowledge and apologize for his past behavior. The most recent to speak out was Therese Serignese, now 57, who was 19 when she said she was assaulted by Cosby.
The allegations have already cost Cosby a comedy project at NBC and a special on Netflix, as well as residual checks from TV Land, which was going to air old episodes of The Cosby Show over the holidays.