Real Confessions: 26 Super Awkward Ways People Have Responded to 'I Love You'
Saying “I love you” to someone is really hard to do. But listening to that person’s response? Even harder.
People took to Reddit to share the absolute worst responses they’ve ever heard to those three little words. (“Thanks” isn’t even the most brutal one.)
1. “Please don’t.”
2. “I’m hungry; let’s get something to eat.”
3. “When my husband and I first started dating, it took us a while to say ‘I love you.’ One day, I said ‘I love you,’ shyly, still not quite used to it, and he replied: ‘You’re welcome.'”
4. “‘If you keep talking, it’ll only hurt more.’ My heart broke.” 5.
“I am still leaving you.”
6. “Me too, thanks.”
7. “Read at 8:23.”
8. “‘I’m sorry ‘ It’s all the more heartbreaking because you know they’re not a bad person. You’ll never be able to hate them. They’ll always be there, in your heart, and it will corrode you from the inside out.”
9. “Just sign the papers, honey.”
10. “Vomiting. (True story).”
11. “I like you as a friend.”
12. “I know. I heard you the first time.”
13. “We’d been dating for about six months. I took her to Boston for the day. The weather was great. We had just finished a nice meal, and we were walking along the bay near the New England Aquarium, with the sun setting in the background. I leaned over and kissed her, and said, ‘I love you. I love everything about you. I love what you’ve been, I love what you are, and I love what you are going to be.’ Silence followed by a change of subject.”
14. “Dude, shut up!”
15. “When I told my last boyfriend that I loved him, his response was, ‘You think so?’ It crushed my heart into a million tiny little pieces. That was six years ago, and I haven’t dared to get emotionally close to another man since.”
16. “‘Take it back’ was said the other day to my friends face. Ouch.”
17. “That’s nice.”
18. “‘Oh….no.’ The tone of her voice sounded more disappointed than anything else. It was a sad day for me.”
19. “‘Woah, I thought this was just physical!’ – said to you by a friend you’ve known since you were kids, and you thought you’d been dating for months.”
20. “I wish I loved you.”
21. “The worst one I’ve seen in person was when my buddy planning to break up with this girl he had been having problems with. We had just gotten finished playing pool at a bar, and we were talking outside while he finished a cigarette. Out of pure bad luck, his soon-to-be ex-girlfriend spotted him and walked up to us all smiley and happy. He quietly told her that they needed to talk, and she completely read the situation wrong. She professed her love for him, expecting that was what he was going to talk to her about. There was some very awkward silence as he finished his cigarette with one big drag, then choked out, ‘Stacy, I’m going home. Lose my number.'”
22. “My ex said ‘thank you,’ and that was it. Shame ensued.”
24. “‘Love you too.’ It feels so fake to me when someone completely drops out the ‘I’.”
25. “Well, bless your heart!”
26. “I love you, but I can’t do this.”
All posts have been edited from Reddit for length and clarity.