Arrest in Siegfried & Roy Drive-By Shooting
Police have taken into custody a former Oakland Raiders place-kicker as part of their investigation into a Sept. 21 drive-by shooting at the Las Vegas home of Siegfried Fischbacher and Roy Horn.
Cole Murdoch Ford, 31, whose three-year NFL career ended after several crucial missed kicks during the 1997 season, had been identified earlier by police as the owner of a white minivan from which shots were fired at the entertainers’ compound.
At the time he was named as a suspect and still at large, Sgt. Chris Jones told the Associated Press that authorities considered Ford armed and dangerous. He was said to have been captured without incident Tuesday afternoon at a copy store near the Las Vegas Strip after a woman tipped police that he was inside, police said.
Ford faces six felony warrant charges of discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle and two felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon.
As was reported earlier, a gunman opened fire on the home of the entertainers, shouting that they should get out of the country. Authorities initially labeled the drive-by a hate crime but later said a patrol officer had misclassified the case.
According to a police report, a gardener who witnessed the incident said he saw the gunman driving the van as it cruised twice past the compound about 6:15 p.m. on Sept. 21. Police spokesman Jose Montoya said shotgun pellets smashed two windows and left a 12-in. hole in the house.
No injuries were reported, though it’s still not known whether anyone was in the house at the time of the shooting. Last month marked the one-year anniversary of Horn’s near-fatal tiger encounter that left him partially paralyzed and shuttered for good the long-running Siegfried & Roy show.