Anthony Weiner found himself caught in another sexting scandal Tuesday like the one that destroyed his congressional career.
This time he stood side-to-side with his wife Huma Abedin to say that he will remain in the race for mayor of New York City.
“I love him. I have forgiven him. And as we have said from the beginning, we are moving forward,” said Abedin, a longtime adviser to former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Weiner acknowledged some of the activity took place after he resigned from the House two years ago for the same sort of behavior.
“This is entirely behind me,” Weiner said at news conference, just hours after he confirmed exchanging a newly disclosed round of sexually explicit photos and text messages with a woman online.
The story broke earlier in the day when the gossip website The Dirty posted the X-rated correspondence and quoted the woman, who was not identified.
She made an appearance in his campaign kick-off video, has led his fundraising effort and recently made her debut on the campaign trail. Two weekends ago, she walked hand-in-hand with Weiner as they talked to voters on a Harlem street.
The allegation could severely test voters’ willingness to forgive Weiner, who has said he spent the two years since the scandal trying to make things right with his wife and earn redemption. Three of his rivals for mayor immediately called on Weiner to drop out of the race.
The 48-year-old Democrat, who resigned his House seat in June 2011 after acknowledging having sexual conversations with at least a half-dozen women, has been near the top of most mayoral polls since his late entry into the race this spring.
“I said that other texts and photos were likely to come out and today they have,” Weiner said in a statement issued by his campaign earlier in the day. “I want to again say that I am very sorry to anyone who was on the receiving end of these messages and the disruption this has caused.”